Monday, June 14, 2010

Emma’s Here

Emma’s here! Emma arrived on Wednesday and has been keeping me busy! She came into Jackson – I’m attaching a couple of pictures here. We also saw a moose on our way up the canyon on the way home! I’m attaching him – yes, the photo quality is not wonderful – but I promise to work on that! Emma has a fabulous Canon camera and she might download her pix to my laptop, then things will look a LOT better!

She has already volunteered to do one of the library’s preschool Wednesday morning story times. She’s going to tackle diversity. We ran into a woman in Victor, a neighboring town, with two adopted Ethiopian kids – she kept saying hi to Emma in the grocery store and Emma couldn’t figure out why. Eventually, she put the mom (Mindy) and the kids together and realized the ‘connection’. It was kind of funny actually. We are going to get together with Mindy and kids next week – Mindy feels as if she is single handedly integrating the Teton Valley. That’s probably not entirely true – but pretty close! She really wants to talk to Emma about the whole issue.

We’ve been meeting with the wilderness rangers for our area. Next Saturday we get bear training. Emma loves that the bottom line of dealing with a bear is to play dead. She’s kind of yeah, as if…………..I figure I won’t ever see one because I’m not likely to be 10 miles into the mountains. Emma, however, is going to be a Forest Service Volunteer and is going to take a multi-day trip into the back country. They are going to find her a tent and off she goes! I can’t imagine – but she’s excited and it’ll give her something to do. She’s also been given the 411 as the to only ‘good’ bar in Driggs. Something only the 30 somethings would know. Mom sure didn’t!

We’ve found a bakery in town – they’ve been open since April and the bread is the best I’ve ever eaten. They have a multi-grain that has sourdough starter in it so it has a bit of a bite. The actually stone grind their own flour every morning. Quite the enterprise. I’m sure we’ll be in there a LOT! Plus – Emma thinks the guy who owns it is really cute. Nothing like hanging with a 22 year old!

Today is a potluck for all of the Aud & Di employees. At least those at this end of Idaho. We’re buying something from the organic grocery store –the only store (literally) in Driggs that is open on a Sunday. Hope they have something interesting!

Tomorrow Em and I are going up along the Tetons on the west side and through Island Park where Larry and Sheila are. We’re heading over for a tour of Yellowstone – we’ve been a number of times before and Emma says she doesn’t need to see Old Faithful again. So – just a quick trip I think – and then back through Island Park to see Larry and Sheila and then back home.

I check my bathrooms a couple of times a day, and given that the weather is still pretty crappy (50’s and rainy) there hasn’t been a ton of traffic. I have, however, been warned of what is to come. I did have to explain to the head wilderness ranger that I was in charge of the bathrooms – he gets to bury poop he finds on the trail – that is NOT within my job description! So far I love it! Emma even found a good radio station and I’m amazed at how much company it is. She’s out for a walk right now – and we’re supposed to leave in just a bit for the potluck – hmmm – I don’t want to stress about her not being ready! Well, some things never change, you know?

Wort Hotel in Jackson – I had a grilled ahi sandwich here – it was great!

clip_image002

Another Jackson viewclip_image004

The elk horn arch in the main park in Jackson

clip_image006

Our first moose!

clip_image008

That’s all for today! Now I just need to find a place to send this from! Will be SOOO nice when the weather is better and I can just go down to a picnic table and use Jim and Charlene’s wifi! But, still cruddy, but we keep hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment