Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Our nester

A couple of days ago a couple of little finches kept batting at the rear window of the trailer.  I thought they were thinking there were other birds as the windows are reflective from the outside.  I went out to see if there was anything to see, and lo and behold, there was!  My bike, still on the back of the rig of course, was having a nest built in it!  The front reflector and one of the ladder steps was the base.  It was already about 5” from top to bottom and probably 7”across.

This afternoon I went to hang out Emma’s ‘work’ outfit,; I had hand washed them as she has another 3 days of catering ahead of her.  I have my little umbrella clothes dryer and I usually hang it on the handlebars.  Hey – it works!  However – as I went to hang it there was the flutter, flutter, flutter. 

I had completely forgotten about the nest, duh………..I was very surprised to see a robin fly out – given that finches were making the nest.  Is this weird?  I don’t do birds, but this seems odd to me.  I came back inside and peered out the window – and yup – a robin’s egg!  I waited a bit and mom came back but she is VERY skittish and the least noise inside the rig startles her away. She came back once but wouldn’t settle – I think she was trying to outlast the ground squirrel the second time around.  I suspect she didn’t want him to know where the next was. 

So – a few pictures here – I’ll try to document as we proceed! 

There’s also a picture of our view from the little area where Em and I have cell service.  It’s not too shabby.  LOL

Yesterday Em and I went into Rexburg to Walmart for meds for me and then up to Island Park to see Larry and Sheila.  Merry, Sid, Emma and I floated on the Snake River for about 4 hours.  I have to say – a plug here for Neutrogena SPF 70 sunscreen!  I am as lily white as I was when we started out.  Now – I wish my legs had gotten a teensy bit of color – but at least I know the stuff works!

Sheila treated us to her Navajo tacos – deep fried scones with chili and all the fixin’s.  Emma was enamored with her corn salsa.  No black beans around so it wasn’t black bean and corn salsa, but it was wonderful none the less.  Emma got to see Larry’s special tum tum wood and then we headed home.  We were both pretty beat so Emma didn’t head out to socialize – she waited til 10 this morning.

I had my hardest day’s work – deep cleaning all 8 bathrooms and shoveling out several fire pits and BBQ’s.  This is more work than I bargained for – I’m enjoying it – and I’m hoping I’m gathering some strength and not just screwing my back up more; time will tell.  I’ve told Mark that if he hasn’t found anything by August that he can have my job and I’ll go back up to be the lazy, but friendly, trail head host.  THAT I can cope with!

Tomorrow Em and I are going to Jackson; she needs new work shoes and we’re meeting Sheila’s mom and going on a hike in Teton National Park to see a waterfall.  It’s pretty idyllic here – notwithstanding scrubbing toilets!  :)

Our telephone view!

Robin's nest 002 

Robin's nest 003    

View looking East across Idaho’s Teton Valley towards ‘our mountains’.

Robin's nest 004

Our robin’s nest – yes I wish I’d washed my rear window better!  LOL

Robin's nest 008

Mommy robin

Robin's nest 009

Mommy sitting on nest! 

Robin's nest 2 002

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. Maybe those birds have decided to become Rvers too!!!!

    ReplyDelete